Friday, January 6, 2012

S.M.A.R.T. Start 2012


Each year I pray and ask the Lord what He would like to change in my life. Last year He asked me to learn to not complain. This year God took it a step further and asked me to change my focus from a negative one and to learn to see the bright side.
I wasn’t even sure it could be done. For all of my life I have looked for the “reality.” Unfortunately, my reality was not finding the adventure, excitement or joy in the  privilege of serving, but rather seeing the hassles, problems and obstacles in the path.
This is a goal I expect to be working all year as these habits are ingrained in my thoughts and being. Let me give you a little of my progress so far and show you how to accomplish your goals.
When we feel God’s leading to change our behavior to more closely reflect His image, we need to get smart. S.M.A.R.T. is an acronym which helps us reach our goals.

S–Specific: Get specific on what new behavior you want in your life
See the positive side and not focus on the negative side of life and my situation.
M- Moderate: Tackle one project at a time. Start small and build on your successes.
Tackle this one thought at a time, one day at a time, one feeling at a time.
A–Achievable: Baby steps. Figure out what you will do instead of what you won’t do.
When I catch myself thinking “I can’t do it all” choose to say “Thank you God for calling me to serve. Show me how to do this work Your way.” Or “This is really fun!”  Or my favorite right now, “What an adventure!”
R–Recordable: Document your progress. Celebrate your progress with a friend or family.
My husband immediately saw my progress and I have been able to do more with less stress.
T–Time-Specific: Review your goals weekly or daily.

Each night I review my progress with God, talking over my successes and where I started thinking negative again. Often I can’t even remember the negatives by bedtime.
I am changing my focus and seeing life as an exciting adventure with God. With God’s help I am learning to see the bright side of each situation in my life.
When troubles come your way consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow… James 1:2-4.
What is God asking you to work on this year? Are you willing to trust Him to help you? Take the S.M.A.R.T. approach to an improved you.
S.M.A.R.T.  By Deanna Johnson

3 comments:

  1. This blesses me more than you will ever know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn, You have encouraged me to go where I thought I couldn't go. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is SO good! When I read this post I recognized the blessing of the coaching! AMAZING what happens with a bit of perspective shifts. You are truly amazing and I love being on the adventure with you! It is an awesome adventure at that!!

    ReplyDelete