Friday, November 25, 2011

Go Nowhere Fast

When anxiety and fear take a grip on me I go nowhere fast. I lose my peace and my ability to think clearly. Anxiety prevents me from doing what I need to do. Fear hinders me from following God’s requests and I refuse to step into new areas which would require more faith.

When I recognize these feelings as they bombard my mind, I run through a few simple steps to get me back on track.
1. Realize I am there–again! STOP, breathe and pray.
“God I’m here again, stymied by this problem. It seems so big. I can’t move forward, instead I sit in a whirlpool of emotions going nowhere. Help!”
2. Ask God, “What’s next? What’s the next thing you want me to do?”
God often suggests a simple task which doesn’t seem related at all to my issue such as: go make dinner, take a break or finish the laundry. In the process of completing these tasks my heart rate slows down, my mind unfreezes and I turn the problem back over to God. Now I’m ready to hear from Him. I cease my obsession about the issue and listen to God.
3. Tell God what I fear, what I’m worried about and what bothers me.
4. Trust God to take care of me because He knows and works to achieve the best for me.
This is the hardest part for me, to trust God will take care of me and work for my best. His best does not always feel good and often requires lots of hard work. In the past, I’ve changed my behavior when I didn’t want to. I’ve dropped harmful and useless behaviors which were fun or felt good. I’ve forgiven those I didn’t want to forgive. When I look back on it now, God did know best.
5. Believe God knows best and ask again, “What do you want me to do right now?”
6. Obey God now. Don’t question, ask why, complain or stall.
Today He answered my prayer. “Sit and pray. Tell me all about it and then let’s take the next step together. Focus on the next thing and leave all the rest of those issues with me. I’m taking care of them and taking care of you. Let’s start your day in the normal way. I will guide you. I know the plans I have for you (Jeremiah 29:11). Let’s start now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment